Monday, August 13, 2012

The Bakery Chronicles


Work has been going well, and I'm slowly but surely learning more and getting better at dealing in large quantities. Today's installment about life in a bakery is really just three little vignettes. Enjoy!
~~~

A couple of weeks ago, I came to the end of my shift and discovered that I was missing one earring. I looked all around my work station, the floor, and I checked the jacket I wore when I was working in the freezer. No dice.


The next morning, the first thing the other baker asked me when I walked into the kitchen was "did you lose an earring?" He found it sitting on a tray full of bread. Luckily, he found it a) not actually in any bread or cookies, etc. and b) before it went in the oven.

I haven't worn backless earrings since.
~~~

One of the great things about summer is the abundance and size of fruit. Makes for more delicious eating, right? Well, it turns out that it's actually somewhat of a challenge in a bakery sometimes. On Saturday, I made mini fruit tarts. They're very cute and quite popular. We use mini shells, a creamy filling, and fresh mango, kiwi, and berries. I cut up the mango and kiwi and placed them as usual. The trouble started when I began adding berries. In the last month or so, the raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries we use have all gotten big enough that it was kind of a tricky to fit all that fruit into one little tart. I actually had to pick through our containers of raspberries looking for the smallest ones. Until this weekend, I have never, ever thought that my raspberries were too big. crazytown.
~~~

Finally, also on Saturday, a customer asked one of the new girls at the counter if we had any low- or non-fat baked goods. My coworker in turn asked me. So I mentioned that we had a couple kinds of scones, a muffin, and one cookie variety I could think of that were specifically billed as low fat. But if she was looking for more of an actual dessert, my best guess for low-fat would be one of our fruit galettes. The filling is all fruit, and while the crust has butter, it's only one crust, rather than a double crusted pie. Makes sense, yes?

The customer listened intently and then picked out a cheesecake.

2 comments:

  1. "The customer listened intently and then..." Hahahaha! Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sigh. yeah. to be fair, there was fruit on top, so it's vaguely healthy, right?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...