Friday, March 15, 2013

Cranberry Almond Muffins - vegan

Cranberry Almond Muffins

My husband tells me I am a food werewolf, and, while I agree (I'm convinced it's an inherited trait, like brown eyes and freckles), it doesn't paint the most flattering picture of myself. I'd like to somehow convince him that I'm more of a squirrel-like hoarder. Wait, that's not better. sigh

Cranberry Almond Muffins

Anyway, it's true. Hi, I'm Kate and I'm a Seasonal Food Hoarder. Sure, I make jam and fruit butter and spreads and vinegar and pesto and large batches of tomato sauce to freeze, but that's not that crazy. And yes, I bought large quantities of fruit and veggies at the farmers' markets last summer and froze pounds of corn and zucchini and peppers, but still, not so crazy. However, it's now March and I still have a can of pumpkin in my cabinet and a bag of cranberries stashed in the freezer. Why? Because when they appear in grocery stores in the fall, I get so excited to see these long-lost friends that I immediately worry that I won't see them ever again and buy extras, you know, in case pumpkins refuse to grow the following year. or something.

Anywho, there must be others like me out there. You know who you are. And these muffins are here to validate your choices. Because how many Americans just happen to have cranberries on hand in March? Seasonal Food Hoarders, that's who. Go team!

Cranberry Almond Muffins


Cranberry Almond Muffins - vegan
These are definitely in the Healthy Breakfast camp rather than the Cake camp of the muffin world. If you're looking for something light, fluffy, and sweet, try these strawberry lovelies. These guys have a little more staying power, and certainly qualify as a healthy start to your day.
The almond meal/flour is optional; you can substitute regular, whole wheat, or some other fun flour. If you do, let us know, eh?

1 C flour
1/2 C almond meal or flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
2 generous pinches of lemon zest
1/4 C plus 2 Tbsp (6 tablespoons) vegetable oil of choice
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C nondairy milk
1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1 heaping cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
sparkling white sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease. The original recipe claims to yield 12 muffins, but I got 9 out of my batter.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl until combined well. Add wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Fold in cranberries.

Divide batter among muffin cups, sprinkle with sugar if using, and bake until golden brown and a tester inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes before removing muffins from pan to finish cooling on a wire rack.

8 comments:

  1. Now, the real question is: who does Not have cranberries in the freezer year-round? We usually just buy too many in November, and there they stay. These muffins sound like a great way to get through a cranberry stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I'm glad I'm not alone! happy baking :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Kate! your muffins looks so delicious! Do you think I can make them with frozen raspberries or black berries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think you can. I can think of two options. 1) Combine everything but the berries and make sure the oven is preheated. Fold in the berries, divide among muffin cups, and bake immediately OR 2) Thaw berries in a colander to allow the liquid to drain before folding into batter.

      I'd be tempted to try option 1 as thawed berries tend to be really mushy. Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out, mmkay?

      Delete
  3. Thanks Kate! I think I'm going with option one! I will post it and let you know what happened :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the recipe! i just made these today with chopped rhubarb instead of cranberries and they are delicious! tender, moist and flavourful. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds great! I'm so glad you tried these and liked them!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...