Monday, October 17, 2011

Coconut Butter - vegan & gluten free


Sometimes, just one ingredient can yield delicious results. I have this post labeled as "vegan & gluten free," but, in fact, it's free of everything - and every allergen - besides coconut. for real. The hardest part? Finding unsweetened coconut. I found plenty of sweetened coconut on the regular grocer's shelves, but this definitely needs unsweetened, which I found at Whole Foods. For some reason, the magic doesn't work on sweetened coconut.

1) Straight out of the bag and 2) briefly processed

I first saw this recipe for coconut butter on shutterbean, and then seeing it on Heather Eats Almond Butter strengthened my resolve. It really is as easy as it sounds, even with help. The result? yummyness. It's going to Mom, so she'll have to leave a review as well. I think this has great potential as a Christmas present...

three more stages along the way
Coconut Butter - vegan, corn free, peanut free, soy free & gluten free
flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut (I used about 6 oz, or 3-4 cups at a time)
dash of salt (optional)
splash (about 1/2 tsp) vanilla or almond extract (optional)

Process in your food processor for 15-ish minutes, or until the coconut has turned smooth and liquidy. Note that it's not going to be perfect; there will still be some grittiness. Scrape the sides down periodically to make sure you incorporate all the coconut. Add salt and agave or an extract to taste and pulse to mix.

The second time I made it, I added the salt and vanilla at the beginning, and I think it's easier that way. But I think for your first time, you should add any additional flavors at the end as well. That way you can taste what you made before deciding what you need.

Eat. Maybe on these? or these? or this? or simply on your finger toast.

see? it really does work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...