Thursday, April 5, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Sherbet - vegan & gluten free


If you haven't noticed at the farmers' market or the grocery, strawberries are in season. I made this for a get together a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to go over well - everyone cleaned their bowls! It's very close to sorbet, but the milk keeps it creamy.

Sidenote: if you like asparagus, it works really well as an add in to Baked Lemon Risotto. Trim and rinse your asparagus. Cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces. At the halfway point in the baking, distribute the pieces evenly across the top of the mixture. Follow the rest of the recipe as written.

I know this because both this sherbet and the risotto with asparagus were part of the same dinner. I thought it was a great way to celebrate Spring.


Fresh Strawberry Sherbet - vegan & gluten free
adapted from Eat. Drink. Love.

2 C hulled strawberries, fresh or frozen
2 tsp lemon juice
2 C non-dairy milk (I used coconut from a carton)
1/4-1/2 C sugar

Puree strawberries in a food processor or blender. If you don't want seeds in your dessert, strain through a fine mesh strainer. Otherwise, just pour directly into a bowl. Stir in the milk, lemon juice, and 1/4 C sugar.  Taste, and add a bit more sugar if needed. 

Refrigerate until chilled - 2 hours or overnight. Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

4 comments:

  1. I've been an avid reader of your blog and I'm so happy to see this strawberry recipe. I love sherbet and this one would be another hit for my kids. I'll buy gluten free products Long Island soon so I could try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maia, thanks for reading! I'm glad it's strawberry season and you and your family can enjoy them in this dessert :)

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy! I love strawberry sorbet. Will have to forward your recipe to my husband(who was a chef for many years). Stopping by from the Pinterest Challenge at Young House Love.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...