Saturday, July 12, 2014

Weekend Reading

strawberries and apricots

Hello and happy weekend, my friends. It's gorgeous here! This week on the blog, I shared my Strawberry Ice Cream. In real life, I've spent a good amount of time communing with fruit in one form or another. I figure July is the month for berry preserves and August is for tomatoes. What have you been up to?

good morning

Onto links! Turns out there was a lot of interesting stuff this week. Have anything to add?

This is, quite probably, the most ridiculous study I've ever heard of. 

Whether you know it or not, you can probably hear the difference between hot and cold water. Go on, test yourself!

Do you like language? Then you'll like this list of twenty-five commonly misused words. I was happy to see "irregardless" on the list as NOT A WORD. 

In another piece of the puzzle, one scientist says promoting diversity is critical to "keeping the bees"

In the preserving world, there was some excitement about a big sale on cherries yesterday. Did you get some? Here's a round up of cherry preserving ideas. So far, I've eaten a lot, and I have two trays dehydrating. I didn't want to do more until I know if I like them. 

Are you a fan of the Outlander novels? Then you may be happy to know there is a blog devoted to the food found in their pages. Outlander Kitchen has quite a collection!

More evidence that chocolate is good for you! Dark chocolate may help blood flow

A beautiful stone fruit salad that has me salivating. 

From The Washington Post, an article explaining that it's not that more kids have ADD these days, but that adults expect kids to sit still for an unnatural and unhealthy amount of time. The core-strength test results are shocking and disheartening. 


Some women focused companies have started advertising with un-touched-up photos. Here's the male equivalent

In case you need more to love about the duo, Fey and Poehler's story.

In California, a legal skirmish about a strawberry breeding program that could have far-reaching effects. 

O. M. G. These brownie ice cream sammiches from Smitten Kitchen sound divine. 

This week I've been reading a lot about infusing alcohol and making liqueurs. If you are interested, here's a good place to start, along with here and here.  

And in a shameless plug, last year I was eating Little Apricot Cakes around this time, and I really need to make some again. 


Want more great reads? Check out all weekend reading posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...