Monday, September 22, 2014

Build a Better PB&J - free of everything you want

Build a Better PB&J | http://www.katesshortandsweets.com

 
I can't take any credit for this one. My friend S nearly always packs her lunch, and it always looks super yummy and super healthy. I first noticed these sandwiches a while back; it took me a long time to give it a try. I'm SO GLAD I did. 

Here's the thing: I've never liked PB&Js. I like bread. I like peanut butter. I like jam. I like bread with peanut butter. I like bread with jam. But I don't like all three all together. I know. I'm kind of a weirdo. Even my mom thinks so. 

farmers' market raspberries | http://www.katesshortandsweets.com

But it turns out that I do like peanut butter and fruit. A lot. And just about any fruit will work here. While visiting, my mom made a peanut butter and nectarine sandwich she was quite happy with. Fresh blackberries are excellent. Sliced strawberries, sliced apples, and sliced bananas are all good. 

Besides the obvious benefit of no added sugar, you can make this breakfast/snack/lunch-if-you-add-another-piece-of-bread-and-pack-it-safely free of whatever allergen you need to. Regular or gluten free bread, any nut butter or sun butter, fruit of choice. It's that easy. 

build a better Peanut Butter Sandwich | http://www.katesshortandsweets.com

 
For those of you who like instruction to come with your food photos, here goes:
  1. Spread nut or non-nut butter of your choice on a favorite slice of bread.
  2. Arrange fruit or slices of fruit (if large, like strawberries, bananas, apples, peaches, etc) on top in rows, or however the fruit is telling you to do so. 
  3. If you're extra hungry, spread another piece of bread with nut/non-nut butter and place, sticky side down, on top of fruit. 
  4. Eat. Enjoy. nom nom nom
I especially like this in the morning with a hot cup of tea. 

Have you tried this before? What are your favorite combinations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...