Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Tzatziki Potato Salad - gluten free & egg free

Tzatziki Potato Salad

knock, knock? uh, hi, it's me, Kate. I, er, guess I needed a blogvation last week.

Sorry about the disappearance, folks. I didn't quite realize it was happening until about Thursday, at which point I figured the week was lost anyway so I should just take advantage and read a book. Believe it or not, not only didn't I stop by to talk with you folks, I barely read the internet. Weird, I know. I guess some weeks are just like that.


In any case, I'm back and today I bring you a yummy, summery potato salad. I made this for July 4th, and even though I didn't cook the potatoes quite long enough, it was a hit. It's easy to make in pieces, ahead of time. I cooked my potatoes the night before, mixed in the goop in the morning, and left it to think about itself in the fridge until dinner.

Tzatziki Potato Salad


Tzatziki Potato Salad - gluten free & egg free
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

4 pounds potatoes (I used Yukon Golds, but you can use whatever boiling potatoes you like for salads)
1 3/4 C Greek yogurt (I actually used plain goat yogurt and it worked)
1/4 C sour cream
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (from half a big lemon)
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp minced fresh dill
1 medium garlic clove, minced
2 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 regular or English cucumber, peeled or not, but quartered lengthwise, seeds removed

In a large pot, cover your potatoes with cold, lightly salted water and bring them to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-high and let potatoes boil until tender enough that they can be pierced easily with a skewer or slim knife. Usually, about 15 minutes of boiling time equals cooked potatoes. Drain potatoes and let them cool completely.

In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar, dill, garlic, salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

Grate the cucumber on a box grater or a coarse microplane grater. Try to remove some of the excess by squeezing out handfuls, pressing it in a mesh sieve with a spoon or wringing it in a square of cheesecloth or a lint-free dishtowel. I used a mesh sieve and then also squeezed out handfuls of cucumber on their way to the bog bowl. Mix into yogurt mixture.

Once potatoes are cool, cut into generous chunks. Don't worry too much about whether skins stay adhered to the potato. Add to cucumbers+yogurt and stir to coat. Add any extra ingredients (olives, feta, mint, something spicy like minced chiles). Adjust seasonings to taste. Either eat immediately or keep in the fridge, covered, for up to three days.

2 comments:

  1. I heart sour creamy or yogurty dressings on potato salad! So much better than mayo. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll try this one then since it's sour creamy AND yogurty :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...