Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hello again


So, hi. It's been awhile. In fact, I haven't said "hi" since last year (har har). But, really, I've been absent and I know it.

It turns out that an absent spouse does not, in fact, mean more blogging as I thought it would. You see, Mr Official Taster, was in Stockholm (yup, in Sweden) for five weeks. He left in mid-November and returned right before Christmas.

I had plans, people. I was going to blog a lot and take Roomba on a lot of long walks and Christmas-ify the apartment and redecorate and generally Super Single Woman it up. I tried to tackle blog things, really, I did. I have some recipes drafted without photos and some photos waiting for recipes. I thought about posting, and I felt guilty for not. Plans sort of evaporated; you see, a household that formerly functioned with two (alleged) adults doesn't just simplify itself for one. One tired-all-the-time-full-time-baker-in-the-chaotic-season adult. It was an educational five weeks, because, as it turns out, I can't do it all, all by myself, all of the time. I think that's a good lesson to learn heading into a new year.

So I'm going to finish up my vacation, guilt free, and then come back next week to start my fourth (!!) year of blogging. If you need some virtual warm breezes to cheer up your (snowy?) January, follow me on Instagram @ ShortandSweets

What did you learn in 2012?

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, do I know how this goes. When my husband was a PA student and was gone for weeks on end for clinical rotations, I thought I'd have so! much! time! to bake and clean and organize and watch re-runs of "Mad Men." Turns out all I ended up doing was a whole lot of "Mad Men." But it's a good realization to know that you can't do it all, and that's OK. That said... I'm excited to see what you've got planned for 2013! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's true, there was some serious Netflix time logged ("Army Wives" is both the worst and the best show to watch when your husband is away). But I also got lots of full nights of sleep, which isn't all bad.

      thank you, and, ditto! happy 2013!

      Delete
  2. "because, as it turns out, I can't do it all, all by myself, all of the time"

    Amen, Sister! I wave my arms and send you no guilt vibes. I'm looking forward to the fourth (!) year, most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I can feel them already :) It's hard to not have the guilt! Sideways note: I really liked this post on APW today about chores http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/01/chores-and-gender-roles/

      I think some of the guilt is society-induced, but some of it is *totally* blogger-induced. I mean, there are these women who blog about their homes and lives, and they look *perfect* from the outside. So then we all think, why can't I do that too? It's a bummer. I try not to be like that, and I like when other bloggers admit mistakes/imperfections/failures.

      You have a lot going on in 2013, Miss, so I'm already sending you no guilt vibes. Thanks for (always, always) being supportive of my little nook :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...