Wednesday, June 18, 2014

5 Vacation Habits to Keep

5 vacation habits to keep

Last week in Kauai was incredibly relaxing, and I ended the week refreshed, tan for me (i.e. most peoples' normal), and happy. Beyond realizing that I need to take regular breaks, I've also come to the conclusion that there are some routines that I should carry from Paradise to real life. I realize that it's not always going to be possible, and that they are a bit idealized, but I figure it's worth writing them down so I can refer back to them and remind myself of them.

all green all the time

5 Vacation Habits to Keep

  1. Less screen time. When we went to Hawaii last week, I planned on spending a lot of time reading. I didn't even bring my computer, and my (spotty service) phone only got checked once or twice a day. I removed Facebook from my phone a few months ago, so really all I did tech wise was to get a few new ebooks for my Kindle, delete emails so I wouldn't come home to hundreds, and look at Instagram once in a while. It was great to ignore the screen, the social media, and the ever-present urge to check and see what's new. I'd love to keep that habit up here. I know it's not possible to be as unconnected as I was, but I think it's a worthwhile goal.
  2. Since I'll be spending less time interneting, I can spend more time reading. I've always loved to read, and there's been a clear correlation between more screen time and fewer books. I read a ton last week, and it was a great reminder how much reading is a part of my (good) mental health and general state of relaxation. 
  3. Separation of work and not work. This is something I've been working on for a while, but last week I was really able to completely forget about my job and not worry about something late at night. I couldn't do anything about it then, and the same is true now. If I'm not at work, there's pretty much nothing I can do about it. Yes, if I remember something critical I can text someone still at work, but I'd like to have a firm mental separation at night. 
  4. Drinking. I'm (mostly) talking about water here. Except for the first night, my feet didn't do their usual cramping routine at night. Beyond all the relaxing-with-my-feet-up time, I'd like to give credit to all the water and iced tea drinking I did in Kauai. 
  5. Down time in the morning and evening. Again, this is something I've been working on for a few months, but I've found it really helps me wake up, relax, and fall asleep again to have distinct buffer zones around my waking and sleeping. Just an extra thirty minutes in the morning to have a hot cup of tea and a real breakfast improves my outlook on the day, and some time at night - after dinner and before bed - of relaxing (reading!) helps me fall asleep more quickly. I think I also sleep more soundly. 
I hope to keep these up! What do you do to keep yourself sane and happy?

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...