Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A trip to the Ballard Farmers' Market


This weekend I did not buy 20 lbs of peaches. In fact, I was on the east coast for a shower an aunt threw for me. It was a short trip, but it was lovely to see family and friends and feel "bridal." Yes, I know it's out of order. Are you really surprised?


Anyway, had I been here, Mr. Official Taster and I might very well have once again headed to the Ballard Farmers' Market. I took these photos a couple weeks ago, so I thought I'd share them with you. Especially all you farmers'-market-deprived folks.


I apologize for the fuzziness of this one, but I really wanted to show you these Dragon Tongue beans. They're purple! and stripey/polka-doty! They taste just like regular green beans, but they add some pizzaz to your plate. fun times.


oh, the flowers. They're lovely.


The abundance of beautiful fruits and vegetables are almost enough to make up for the dreary winters. Almost. There's also plenty of other wares - meats, eggs, cheeses, milk, wine, cider, bread, foraged fungi, soaps, fresh (like fried in front of you) mini donuts (which were amazing), and many items I can't remember. 


There was even live musical accompaniment. In fact, two street bands to entertain happy shoppers. We sat on the sun-dappled curb and listened to this one while eating juicy raspberries and fresh cinnamon-sugar mini donuts. good times.

2 comments:

  1. Nice collection of pics! This is motivation to actually get over to Ballard one of these days. How easy it is to keep circulating in one's neighborhood and not take advantage of the others (almost different universes) that are so close, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I tried to be quick and stealthy about taking them. I didn't want to be one of "those" people, nor did I want to be in the way (the crowds can be intense). I can't believe you *still* haven't been there!! Now is the time of year to check it out! You'll feel like you're in a real neighborhood, and there won't be the tourists that you have to put up with at Pike's Place.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...