Monday, August 15, 2011

Peach Plum Streusel - gluten free & vegan


Last week and this, I have a plethora of peaches (like that? I do.) With the unbruised, not all the way ripe, and otherwise perfect fruit, I made some Peach Melba Jam that, I think, will be appreciated come winter. This week seems to be about baking them. (don't worry, I'm also just eating them) Baking them is a great way of a) using up a bunch before they go bad b) making them delicious in a different way than fresh and c) gifting.


I have some ideas to occupy myself for the rest of the week, but I'll keep those to myself in case I jinx it.

Fruit Filling
Wash, peel, and cut up your fruit. I used 3 plums and about 5 peaches, and I didn't actually peel the plums.  I say "about 5" because I used some very ripe peaches and, sadly, some parts had to be discarded. I cut my fruit into slices/small chunks.

Streusel Topping
1 stick vegan butter, room temperature
1 C brown sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 C flour, whole wheat flour, or gluten free flour

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and brown sugar. Stir or pulse in the remaining ingredients until combined and pretty crumbly. Remember, this is a streusel topping, so it won't hold together like dough.

Fill a glass dish or pie plate of your choosing with your cut up fruit. Sprinkle the streusel over the fruit. Bake the streusel for about 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.

Eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Rinse and repeat.

If you have leftover topping (I did), put it in a freezer bag or airtight container until you want to use it. When that time comes, you don't need to worry about defrosting it. Just sprinkle over your fruit and bake.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...