Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cupcakes!


Cupcakes! Specifically, Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes! Pretty exciting. I also made these at my parents' house when I was feeling the urge to bake. This recipe was great because it didn't require any special vegan ingredients (like Ener-G Egg Replacer), so everything I needed was available without an extra shopping trip.

If you're skeptical of vegan desserts, as I know many people are, try this recipe. Two parents, an aunt, and I all thought they were super yummy. These cupcakes are very moist and, I think, the most delicate cupcakes I've ever made. I think you'll find them very easy, as well.








So here's the recipe, and I'm including some notes/variations for you at the bottom.

Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes

1 C almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 C flour
1 C sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C vegetable oil
1 tbsp red food coloring (red)
1 tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake tin with papers (12)

In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk and vinegar and set aside. You need these to curdle as a substitute for buttermilk. Later, the vinegar will react with the baking soda to help them rise, so this is important!

In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.

Add the oil, food coloring, water, and both extracts to the curdled milk and whisk well. Add the dry ingredients (sift if you have a sifter) to this wet mixture and fold just until the large lumps are gone. It's absolutely ok to still have small lumps.

Pour or spoon ( a ladle works well) batter into cupcake liners. They should be about 2/3 full. Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until the top of a cupcake bounces back if you poke it lightly with your finger.

Vegan Chocolate Glaze
4 heaping spoonfuls confectioners sugar
1 heaping spoonful cocoa powder
2 tbsp almond milk

Sift the sugar and cocoa together and then add the milk. Stir until smooth. Spread on cupcakes.
This is really just a guide- depending on how chocoatey and how thick you like your frosting, alter measurements as you like. You can also substitute juices, water, tea (room temperature), or another kind of milk for the almond milk.


Notes:
Feel free to substitute another non-dairy milk (i.e. soy) for the almond milk. The vinegar will still curdle it.

You can also substitute another kind of oil for the vegetable oil, such as canola or corn. Olive oil probably has too strong of a flavor, but it will certainly work.

These turned out plenty red for me, but if you want super red, use 2 tbsp of food coloring and no water. I ran out of red and was ok with less dye.

If you have nut allergies, simply substitute for the almond milk and use extra vanilla extract instead of almond. Or try mint or another flavor.





If you have soy allergies, use almond milk and choose an oil (like canola) that doesn't have soybeans in it.



This is my definition of a heaping spoonful. I know it's not very scientific, but my glazes rarely are.



Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you-I just made these (and I have never made cupcakes before!) And they turned out soo moist and delicious, what a fantastic recipe for a beginner like me too!

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, that's awesome! congrats on your first batch- bet you can't make just one ;)

      Delete
    2. I may have to make another! haha , I gave them to my boy friend and his twin for their birthday...they loved 'em (:

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...