Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Welcome To My Garden

I know, I know. I said I was back. baa-aaack even. And then I wasn't.

But here I am! Between moving and a wonderful wedding and school starting and whatnot, things here have been rather hectic. If you're a fan on facebook, you'll know that I was working on my garden the other day and promised pictures soon. These are them!

The two little raised beds hold tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, basil, lavender, and rosemary. You can't see it in the pictures, but I also have a hill of pumpkin seeds sewn, and a couple of sunflowers. The marigolds are not just cheerful; they're also a natural pest deterrent. In the next few weeks, I'll be planting some cool season crops, including spinach, lettuces, and sweet peas.

My little (dwarf) orange tree survived the move with all of the green oranges intact, so I'm looking forward to some fresh-off-the-tree citrus this winter. Official Taster and I also acquired a Passion Vine, and I'm hoping a few of it's blooms will turn into passion fruit for us to taste. I'll try to get a shot of it's unique flowers to show you.
It's still a work in progress (what garden isn't?), so I'll periodically post updates. I think it's looking pretty good, especially if you consider it started as a blank, and very dusty, slate.
Japanese Maples are my favorite tree, so I was super excited when Official Taster bought me one to plant in our new home. I hope that whoever lives here next appreciates it!

One of the things I love about living in Southern California is hummingbirds! I see them every day zipping about, visiting flowers, trees, and feeders. Usually I know they're around because I can hear their wings. Once in a while, one of the little guys actually sits and drinks. I always sort of hold my breath and try not to scare them away. I'm glad I was able to actually get photos!





While I was investigating the Mandevillas, hunting for the perfect shot, I came across this little moth hiding from the sun inside a blossom.
I have a few more photos from the garden for you in my next post, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. It looks great, like its been there for the whole season, not just two weeks. Good use of the tiki!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...