Sunday, June 20, 2010

Raspberry Pancakes

We have a lot of raspberries right now. Luckily, neither I nor Official Taster have a problem eating a package-full at a time straight out of said package. But this beautiful Sunday morning I had a hankering for pancakes, and then it came to me. Raspberry pancakes! Why have I never thought of this before? I've had blackberry and banana (separately and together) pancakes, which have been quite tasty. I've also enjoyed the crunch of granola, the goodness of chocolate chips, sweetness of peaches, and the fall flavors of apple in pancakes.

So I set out to make these mouthwatering treats. I wasn't sure which method - dropping on top or mixing into the batter - would work best, so I tried both. Of course, for the benefit of you, dear readers, and not because it's fun to play with food.

Both tactics worked, but in the future, I'll probably stick to mixing the raspberries into the bowl of batter. I think the pancakes cooked better that way (above picture). But sprinkling does have the advantage of the chef having control of the placement of said berries (picture below and top). So it's up to you. Also, each method looks slightly different. Sprinkled on top makes the raspberries a bit more prominent since they were never totally covered with batter.


Dairy Free Raspberry Pancakes
adapted from Joy of Cooking

1 egg slightly beaten
3 tbsp melted dairy free butter
1 C non dairy milk
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
cooking spray

Combine egg, butter, and milk. Mix in the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Make sure everything is evenly distributed, but don't get rid of all the lumps.

Spray a non stick, heavy bottomed frying pan and put it on medium heat. When the pan is hot enough, drops of cold water will dance, bounce, and sputter on it. If it's too hot the water will vanish.

Use a ladle or spoon to drop batter onto pan. They will spread a bit, so don't make the drops too close together. In a few minutes, bubbles will dot the surface of the cake. Flip the pancakes over and cook only until the second side is done (it'll be a pretty golden brown ideally).

Serve immediately, or if you want to cook all of them and then eat, turn the oven on for a second so it gets slightly warm and place cakes on an oven proof plate in the oven. Top with honey, syrup, a fruit compote, jam, etc. and enjoy!

Notes:
I suspect that Ener-G Egg Replacer would work well in this recipe, but I haven't tried it yet

This week's raspberries came from stores, not the farmers' market. But I think farmers' market raspberries would work better because they're usually smaller.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you add the raspberries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can either mix the raspberries into the batter or sprinkle them on top. Either one works, but as I said above I usually mix them in. They are less likely to stick to the pan or burn that way. I hope this helps and happy cooking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...