Thursday, August 22, 2013

Blackberry Peach Jam - vegan, gluten free, and free of just about everything else

Blackberry Peach Jam from above

Jam Week 2013 soldiers on! Yesterday afternoon, I shared some of what I've learned about jamming and canning over the past few summers, and I'd love to hear from you all. So head over and leave a comment!

Today's jam doesn't have a secret, glamorous name, but it is a yummy riff on a classic flavor combination. I made this when the fridge was broken during The Great Refrigerator Debacle of 2013, and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, aside from the small mistake of cooking it down too far. My batch is rather...stiff..for jam, but it still tastes good, and since I only plan on gifting it to people with good manners, I probably won't hear any complaints. You, however, will take care to watch yours more carefully, eh?

Blackberry Peach Jam

Just like its raspberry cousin, even though (by volume) there is four times the amount of peaches as blackberries, the berries win the color war. I think of it as a happy surprise for the jam recipient (or you, on a morning before you've had your coffee or tea). Expecting blackberry jam? Surprise! You get the pleasure of a little peach, as well. Bon appetit!

Blackberry Peach Jam - vegan, gluten free

Earlier in Jam Week:
-Red & Black Raspberry Jam and why I don't use pectin
-Raspberry Peach Jam and it's secret, glamorous name
-10 of my tips to make your next trip to the farmers' market your best one yet
-Raspberry, Honey & Lemon Jam is my best yet
-What I've learned about canning. I'm confident you people have things to teach me!


Blackberry Peach Jam - vegan, gluten free, and free of just about everything else
adapted from moi

Depending on how much you cook it down, you should get 3-4 half-pint (8 ounce) jars using the measurements below. It's definitely double-able. You’ll notice that I don’t give a cooking time. That’s because cooking times can vary greatly depending on the width of your pot, the power of your stove, the amount of humidity in the air and even how much rain fell in the days before your fruit was picked. Stay close to the stove as you cook your jam and watch closely for changes. Here is a great article specifically about jam setting. Besides putting it on toast, jam makes a great cake filling.

4 C peeled, pitted, and chopped peaches or nectarines (about 3-4 large)
1/4 C lemon juice
1 C blackberries
2-4 C sugar

Prepare preserving jars and get your water bath heating.

Combine the peaches and lemon juice in a large pot. Mash thoroughly with a potato masher (note: I don't have one, so I like to use one of the beaters from my hand mixer. Use what you've got!). Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the blackberries and sugar. Increase the heat to medium-high and boil rapidly, stirring often until the jam begins to thicken. With a clean spoon, scoop out a bit of jam, allow to cool, and taste. Add more sugar if necessary. If you taste it again, be sure to only use a clean spoon. You can test for set if you'd like, or aim for a temperature of 220F.

Skim off the foam if necessary, ladle jam into hot, sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4-inch (6mm) head space. Wipe the rims clean and apply lids. Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove jars, and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack or a folded kitchen towel. Listen for the "ping!" of success. When jars are cool enough to touch, check seals. Jam is ready to eat as soon as it is cooled but can also be stored in a cool, dark place for up to a year.

2 comments:

  1. I had some blackberry-peach jam today given by a friend, I don't know if it is from this recipe or not, but it was absolutely delicious, as I presume this one will be.

    How would you alter any proportions so that it can be made with liquid pectin and NOT open kettle, boiling water canned? Of course, the result must be refrigerated for its short life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed your jam :)

      I've never made jam with pectin, so I don't really have any guesses for you. Perhaps one of the Ball books has a recipe that uses pectin?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...